There are many things you need to do to get your website up and running efficiently. You want to drive as much traffic to your site as possible. One thing that you need to consider is registering your domain name. The domain name would be something like “happyfrog.com”. You do not have to be a corporation or business to register a domain name. If you are a personal blogger, you will want to complete this as well.
Registering your Domain Name
There are numerous reasons why a domain name is important. These include:
- Making changes in your hosting will allow your domain to go with it. All of the audience that you have already built will not have to worry about going to a new domain to visit your site. Your domain name will remain unchanged.
- Businesses benefit by having a domain name, as it builds more trust around their brand. Registering your Domain Name is so important
- When a domain is related to your company or is the name of an individual, your customers are more likely to remember it. This will make it easy for them to visit your site more often.
How to Register A Domain Name
When you buy a hosting package, sometimes they will register your domain in the package that you purchase. If they do not, you will need to go through the registry process yourself.
Here is step by step instruction on how to register your domain name.
- First, you will need to come up with a list of domain names. You will want more than one because your first choice may already be taken.
- You will then need to purchase the domain name by using a credit card or PayPal. Once you pay, the domain name will be yours for a year, or longer if you paid for an extension. Price will depend on where you purchase your domain name from.
- Once you have your domain name, you will need a web host. You need to get the primary and secondary nameservers from your web host. This information can be found under your web host account. It will be listed as the domain name, DNS or domain name transfer. This is important because it will apply your domain name to your website.
- Don’t worry if you do not have a web host, the registrar has the ability to hold your domain name on a temporary website for you. This will allow you to obtain your domain, and take the time you need to complete the rest of your website setup. Registrars automatically do this, so you will not have to worry.
Choosing a Registrar
There is no shortage when it comes to domain name registrars. Prices and packages will vary.
GoDaddy.com happens to be the front runner in the domain name registrars. They provide many features that make setting up your website easy and convenient. Some of their offerings, include an interface for managing your domains, free web redirection, free web page builder, free parking page, and option to make your domain a private registry.
Other registrars include Namecheap, 1&1 Internet, and Dotster.com. There are some hosting companies that will give you a free domain name when purchasing a hosting package, such as FatCow website hosting.