When it’s time to look for a hosting company, it can get confusing in a hurry. Many website hosts offer shared website hosting , but not all of them offer the right type of package for your needs. Whether you just want to start a simple blog or you plan to start a network of money making websites, you need hosting.
Most webmasters and bloggers start with shared hosting because it’s the cheapest hosting you will find. However, you still have to choose a hosting company you can trust. The right hosting company offers excellent features, great service, top technical support and so much more. It’s not always about price.
Shared Website Company
Before you start your search, make sure you understand a few of the warning signs of a bad hosting company. Any companies displaying the following, you want to avoid:
- Unbelievably low prices – Anything under $2 a month should make you skeptical.
- Tons of Freebies – Most hosting companies give you some freebies, but if they load up on too many freebies, it can be a problem.
- No other type of Hosting Package – Even though you may only need shared hosting right now, you may need VPS hosting or dedicated server hosting in the future. Make sure the company you choose offers more than just shared website hosting.
- Bad Reviews – If a hosting company has too many bad reviews, you want to avoid them at all cost.
These are just a few of the warning signs. If anything else seems suspicious, you may want to avoid the company you are checking out.
Qualities of a Great Shared Website Hosting Company
Since finding the right hosting company is vital to your success, you want to make sure you choose a company with the right qualities. Some of the best hosting companies offer shared website hosting with the following qualities:
- Unlimited Features – Usually this includes disk space, bandwidth, domain hosting and a few other options.
- A Free Domain Name – If you’re paying for more than a few months up front, a good shared web hosting company will give you a free domain name with your package.
- Multiple MySQL Databases – Those planning to use WordPress will need multiple MySQL databases and the best hosting companies will offer more than just one with your package.
- Plenty of Extra Features – WordPress, Joomla, Drupal and a number of other scripts and tools should come with your package free of charge.
- Incredible Support – The technical support should be offers 24/7/365 and it should be raved about in customer reviews.
If you find a hosting company that doesn’t offer all of the above, you have found one you should avoid. These features are very important and they are very common in the shared hosting industry.
What Price Should You Pay for Shared Hosting?
The price isn’t the most important part of your shared hosting package, but it should be considered. You don’t want to overpay for this type of hosting, but you also want to be careful of super cheap shared hosting packages.
The best shared hosting will range from about $2.50 to $5 per month on a one-year to three-year package. Of course, this is assuming the company isn’t running any type of special deal or discount. If you pay on a month-to-month basis, you may pay from $5 to $15 per month for your shared website hosting package.
If you want to find the top shared website hosting company, read our comprehensive review of FatCow Hosting. They are one of the best choices on the market and they offer very fair prices for the amazing features you will get.