Your domain name matters and choosing the best domain name will make a difference. Not only can it help with branding, but it can also help with SEO and many other marketing strategies.
If you’re just starting a new website for your business, you need a few tips to help you find the right domain name. The domain name is where it all starts. Everything else could be perfect, but if the domain name you choose isn’t, you might be costing your business thousands of dollars. Here are a few great tips to help you find the perfect domain name.
Domain Name Mistakes to Avoid
Many business owners make mistakes when they choose their domain name. Some of these mistakes are very common and you need to avoid them. Don’t make these three mistakes:
- Choosing a Spammy Extension – Any extension other than .com, .net or .org should be left out of this decision. Some of the extensions, such as .info are very spammy and will just cause you issues. If at all possible, get a .com domain name, as it’s the most widely recognized.
- Using Buzzwords – Buzzwords may seem great now, but in a year, will they still be buzzwords? If not, your domain has a shelf life and that’s not good for a business. Be careful not to use buzzwords or follow tends in your domain name.
- Using too Many Words – Your domain name can be too long and that’s simply not a good thing. It’s far easier to remember a domain with 2 to 4 words than one with 5 to 8 words. Make sure your domain name is as short as possible and easy to remember.
If you avoid making these three mistakes, you will be well on your way to choosing the right domain name to represent your company.
Choosing the Best Domain Name for Your Business
There are a few things you should keep in mind when choosing your business domain name. Here are three tips to ensure you get the best domain name to represent your company.
- Make it Simple – If at all possible, make your domain name companyname.com. If that doesn’t work, you may be able to use your flagship product or service as your domain name. You will also want to avoid using hypens, as they are harder to remember.
- Research Matters – It’s important to do research before you buy a domain name. You don’t want to violate somebody else’s copyright or choose a company with some strange foreign translation. Make sure you do your research before finalizing your domain name purchase.
- Make it Unique – Whenever possible, you want to make your domain name stand out. This is good for marketing and if it’s catchy, people will easily remember it.
Choosing the best domain name for your company is important, but it doesn’t have to be impossible. You can get the right domain name by avoiding these mistakes and following these tips.